This recipe is a major throwback to poolside days under the hot summer sun. When I was a kid, a family friend would make these little angels and bring them to the pool for some post-swim lesson snacking for us kiddos. These cupcakes still take me back every time I sink my teeth into one. Isn’t it wonderful how food can capture memories?! I believe sweet things do this best, btw 😉
What make these heavenly white cakes so special are whipped egg whites and a hint of almond extract, while a swirl of beautiful buttercream on top make these little angels complete.
To begin, whip the egg whites and sugar together until soft peaks form, then gradually mix in the other ingredients to get a smooth, fluffy batter.
Fill the cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake for 20-22 minutes, to golden perfection.
While the cupcakes cool, whip up a recipe of my favorite buttercream! You can find the recipe here: http://allisonswonderlandoftreats.com/pink-floral-gradient-cake/
Once prepared, fill a piping bag with the buttercream and pipe onto cooled cupcakes. And there you have it, simple as that!
What I love about these cupcakes is that they are really quite simple, but oh so delicious! You can get fancy with coloring the buttercream and using assorted sprinkles, but I think they also make a rather lovely sight just as they are.
Heavenly Vanilla Cupcakes
- 2 3/4 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup butter softend
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 recipe Creamy Buttercream Frosting http://allisonswonderlandoftreats.com/pink-floral-gradient-cake/
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl fitted with a whisk attachment, whisk together egg whites until foamy. Add 1/2 cup sugar gradually, and continue to whisk until soft peaks form.
- Switch whisk with paddle attachment, and beat in butter.
- Gradually add in remaining 1 cup sugar, mixing until light and fluffy.
- Mix in flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add in milk.
- Mix in flavorings.
- Fill lined muffin cups 2/3 full.
- Bake cupcakes for 20-22 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Prepare buttercream and pipe onto cooled cupcakes.
One Comment Add yours
That’s right! I forgot Joanna would bring those after swim lessons. I miss those days and her cake!