It’s getting to be that time of the year where it’s consistently colder each day, especially in the mornings and at night. As a result, I will sometimes enjoy a toasty cup of hot cocoa or coffee while starting work in the morning, or in the evenings a few hours before bed. Both of these rich beverages warm up my insides and create a cozy, comforting feel as the days get shorter and the air gets colder. My favorite hot beverage falls right in between the cocoa and coffee…a creamy, delicious mocha!
So when pondering what type of cupcake to bring to an event last weekend, I decided to try out some chocolate coffee cupcakes in honor of the cold weather. What a delight they turned out to be! The creamy chocolate flavor gives forth to just a slight hint of coffee, making these treats the perfect accompaniment to a cup of your favorite roast. Or perhaps a cup of cocoa. Or milk. Mmmmmmm….
The cupcake recipe is quite straightforward, and requires you to use one cup of freshly brewed coffee. The batter is supposed to be liquidy, so don’t worry! Just pop them in the oven and watch them rise to perfection.
You will then whip up that delicious coffee cocoa buttercream. Pipe it on to the cooled cupcakes, and enjoy!
Cocoa Coffee Cupcakes
For the Chocolate Coffee Cupcakes:
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup freshly brewed coffee
For the Chocolate Coffee Buttercream:
- 2 1/2 sticks butter, softened
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 cup freshly brewed coffee, cooled
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
For the cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two muffin tins with liners.
- Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in large mixing bowl. Add the eggs, milk, oil and vanilla and beat until combined. And coffee and stir to combine. Batter will be thin.
- Fill each liner about 3/4 full of batter.
- Bake cupcakes for 18-22 minutes, rotating pans halfway through baking. Remove cupcakes when toothpick inserted into middle comes out clean.
- Remove cupcakes from pans and allow to cool completely on wire racks.
For the frosting:
- Combine butter and powdered sugar on low speed, then increase speed for 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy. Add cocoa, vanilla and cooled coffee and beat on medium-high for 8 minutes.
- Pipe frosting on top of cooled cupcakes. Decorate with sprinkles, or leave plain.
Makes 30 cupcakes