Nothing says “summer fun” quite like rainbow sherbet! The fresh flavors and bright colors are so fun and delightful, evoking sweet childhood memories of playing with friends in the summer heat. But today’s twist on rainbow sherbet will appeal to both children and adults alike! These super soft sugar cookies have a subtle flavor that is enhanced by the fresh and fruity flavors of the buttercream swirls.
To begin these sweet treats, mix up a recipe of the sugar cookie dough, roll the dough balls and place on parchment lined baking sheets, then bake for just 10-12 minutes. This produces a puffy and ever-so-soft cookie!
While the cookies cool, prepare the buttercream, split it into three portions, and flavor each portion separately (raspberry, orange and lime). You’ll want to use food coloring along with the flavoring in the orange and lime portions.
Now for the fun part! Put each portion of buttercream into its own piping bag, and pipe each color in a thick line, side-by-side on a piece of cling wrap. Roll up the buttercream in the cling wrap, cut the tip and slide the roll into another piping bag (prepared with a star tip). You can now pipe the buttercream swirls onto your cookies!
One of my friends taste-tested these over the weekend, and she claimed that they taste just like rainbow sherbet! I personally would’ve liked a little more of the lime and raspberry flavors, so don’t be afraid to add a little extra flavoring to those two!
Though these cookies easily melt in your mouth, they have a surprising zing of flavor to keep things fun and exciting!
Sherbet Sugar Cookies
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups butter softened
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoon milk
- 2/3 cup fresh raspberries
- 1 1/2 teaspoons orange extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lime juice fresh
- Orange and green food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix together sour cream, sugar, butter, eggs and vanilla until combined.
- Slowly add in all dry ingredients until just combined.
- Scoop cookie dough and roll into balls (about 2 tablespoonfuls each). Place 2 inches apart on parchment lined baking sheets and flatten slightly.
- Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes until light golden brown.
- Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter until smooth.
- Slowly add in the powdered sugar and mix until all is combined.
- Add in milk.
- Separate the buttercream into 3 equal portions.
- Wash and dry raspberries, then place them in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir and break down raspberries until they have broken down to a sauce. Remove from heat and pour raspberries through a fine-mesh strainer. Press out juice.
- Mix about 2 teaspoons of the raspberry juice into the first portion of buttercream. Mix the orange extract and the orange food coloring into the second buttercream portion. Mix the lime juice and green food coloring into the third portion.
- Put each portion of buttercream into its own piping bag, and pipe each color in a thick line, side-by-side on a piece of cling wrap. Roll up the buttercream in the cling wrap, cut the tip and slide the roll into another piping bag (prepared with a star tip).
- Pipe buttercream swirls onto cooled sugar cookies.