This week’s baking adventure was quite an exciting one! I dreamt up the idea a few weeks ago and was able to construct a yummy and unique cupcake, inspired by chewy, hearty, chocolatey, crunchy, oatmeal peanut-buttery monster cookies!
I must warn you that this is not your typical cupcake. The flavors are all very distinct, and thus I recommend that you already be a fan of monster cookies (specifically the flavors of peanut butter and oatmeal) before trying these cupcakes. If you can check yes on the box of already loving this flavor combo, then what are you waiting for?! Get in the kitchen and mix up some of these fun, festive and flavorful treats!
Start by making the oatmeal chocolate chip cupcakes. The batter will be relatively thick and probably won’t rise as much as other cupcakes do, so be generous when filling the cupcake papers.
Bake until they are a beautiful golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean!
While the cupcakes cool on a wire rack, prepare the Peanut Butter Buttercream! Once the cupcakes are cooled completely, use a large star tip to pipe the buttercream onto them and top with M&Ms and the remaining chocolate chips. And presto! These flavor-packed treats are ready to go!
These Monster Cookie Cupcakes appeal to the senses in a variety of ways, taking you on a journey of various flavors, textures and colors.
I was very pleased by how much these resemble a good old fashioned monster cookie, and I hope that you discover the same!
Monster Cookie Cupcakes
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar packed
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups applesauce
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
Peanut Butter Buttercream
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 3/4 cup butter softened
- 3 teaspoons vanilla
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 4-6 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1 medium bag M&Ms
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream butter and sugar together in a large mixing bowl.
- Beat in eggs.
- Add dry ingredients to mixture alternately with the applesauce.
- Stir in oats and chocolate chips.
- Fill cupcake papers about 3/4 full with the batter.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely on wire racks.
Peanut Butter Buttercream
- Combine butter and peanut butter in a large mixing bowl until smooth.
- Add vanilla.
- Mix in powdered sugar.
- Slowly add in milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, until desired consistency is reached.
- Using a large star tip, pipe buttercream onto cooled cupcakes and sprinkle each one with chocolate chips and M&Ms.