Look at that beautiful, fluffy cake topped with juicy, fresh peaches and vanilla bean ice cream! I’m getting hungry again just looking at it…
This fresh and summery dessert was super easy to make, but boy was it decadent! Although I chose to serve it up with some peaches and vanilla ice cream, fresh berries and whipped cream would also pair quite nicely with this soft and buttery cake.
Start by preparing the cake itself. Mix up the ingredients in a large mixing bowl, then prepare a round cake pan (I used a 10″) with parchment paper, butter and a sprinkling of sugar. Pour the batter into the pan, and pop it in the oven for about 50 minutes to an hour, until cake is golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
I was a bit worried that I may have left mine in the oven for a tad too long after seeing how much it browned, but I was so relieved to find that it was actually baked perfectly!
Let your cake cool in the pan for about 5 minutes, then turn it out onto a wire rack to cool further.
As your cake cools down a bit, prepare your peaches! Wash, dry, slice and chop your peaches down to the size of your liking.
And now, you are ready to serve! The butter cake tastes amazing when it is served warm, topped with the peaches and a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
This dessert is perfect for the lackadaisical days of late summer, as ripe, juicy peaches are in their prime season and hot days require a bit of ice cream to cool off. This combination of textures and flavors is certainly a winner!
Summer Butter Cake with Peaches
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3-4 peaches
- Vanilla ice cream
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a round cake pan (9" or 10") with parchment paper, buttering the bottom and sides of the pan as well. Sprinkle a bit of sugar onto the sides and bottom of the pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add flour and baking powder to butter mixture, and mix until combined.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Stir in vanilla and almond extract.
- Mix in buttermilk, and then beat until light and fluffy.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan. Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, or until the cake is golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cake cool in pan for about 5 minutes, then turn it out onto a wire rack.
- Wash and dry peaches, slicing them to your desired size.
- Slice warm cake and top with cut peaches and a scoop of vanilla ice cream.